I finally signed up for an Audible membership.
There are SO many books I was dying to read but there was never the time. Even when there was, I’d fall asleep within the first few pages! So, ‘reading’ books that are being read to me seemed like a great alternative.
And it was.
I find myself traveling a lot on the weekends. Being able to sink into a good book while driving has become an absolute treat! Here are the books I have listened to this month:
- The Miracle Morning, The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life – Before 8am by Hal Elrod
- You are a Badass, How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
- The Subtle Are of Not Giving a F*ck, A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
You might have noticed a theme here.
Most who know me would assume they are research for my speaking presentations. The truth is, I have been out of sorts for quite a while now. I have yet to uncover exactly what is at the root of my dis-ease but having been a recovering alcoholic for over 30 years, I don’t take it lightly.
I am in the middle of a serious shift.
See, my entire life I dreamed, but couldn’t even say out loud, that I wanted to be a professional speaker. I was so afraid of what people would say. Then a series of ‘coincidences’ landed me smack dab in the center of my dream.
- I met speaker Matt Booth, who connected me with the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Speakers Association.
- I joined their academy and was gifted the most amazing fairy god-mother, I mean mentor, Susan Young.
- I crafted my talks, created a marketing sheet, website, joined Toastmasters to hone in on my skills, published my first book, and today I AM a professional speaker.
- I even work with Bonnie Davis, a virtual assistant, to help me with the details.
All in a couple of years.
It seems my body hasn’t caught up with my spirit yet. Something I’d dreamed of for over 30 years, I am now doing. It took courage, faith, showing up, following through, not listening to the voice in my head that tried to shut me down, and investing money I didn’t have, trusting it would pay dividends beyond my wildest dreams.
What’s that quote? Fake it til you make it? That’s what I did. I still have a long way to go, but I HAVE made it.
What have I learned from the books listed above?
- To love myself. A message that echoes time and time again in every stage of my life. How ironic that it is so difficult to live.
- I practice 10 affirmations and do a visualization while mucking horse stalls each morning.
- And I stopped caring about so much. I am starting to care most about MY dreams. I am not taking for granted my responsibilities, but I am also not saying yes to everything and everyone else.
What’s your dream?
What are you waiting for? Life is WAY too short to wait one more day. It isn’t comfortable, but oh is it worth it!
Cheri Neal is a professional speaker, coach and public service professional. Cheri helps people turn adversity into opportunity so that they can live engaged, fulfilling, and prosperous lives. A dynamic speaker and trainer, Cheri mixes a powerfully refreshing blend of education, energy and entertainment, engaging participants with right-on-time concepts for enhancing their lives at work, home and in their communities. To hire Cheri for your next event: http://www.CheriNeal.com.