I’ve written about self care before in my post “Water Your Soul By Taking Care Of Yourself” but I wanted to go into a bit more detail and offer some suggestions for your self care routine.
If you are anything like I used to be you probably put off spending time with your friends, getting that pedicure or enjoying your hobbies. You spend more time at work than anything else and this can lead you feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and sick. If you want to take care of other people in your life you can’t do it when you are depleted yourself.
Self care can be cheap or it can be expensive. Some things take time and others will take only a few minutes a day. The options for self care are limited only by your imagination. I decided to conquer my fears by facing them. I was afraid of heights, claustrophobic, and suffered from severe motion sickness. In order to overcome these fears I decided to go skydiving. This may be a bit too radical for you so I’ve made a list of self care suggestions that are simple but life changing.
- Bring home fresh flowers.
- Buy yourself a toy and learn how to play with it.
- Call a family member or friend and take the time to really listen to them.
- Cook yourself a healthy good for you meal that tastes good.
- Find a support group and go often.
- Get an inexpensive foot massage.
- Go sightseeing in your own area.
- Go to a local park and swing on a swing set.
- Go to church.
- Get a cup of tea with a friend.
- Keep a gratitude journal that you write in every night before bed.
- Learn how to do yoga.
- Learn to meditate.
- Listen to music or hypnosis programs before going to bed.
- Pack a picnic and have lunch in a local park.
- Read a book a week.
- Rent an electric bike and go for a ride.
- See a movie.
- Spend a day taking photographs of nature at a beach, in a forest or in a park.
- Take a “social media free day”.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Take a long walk.
- Take an entire weekend once a month and spend it taking care of yourself.
- Treat yourself to an expensive meal.
- Turn off your phone after 5 pm every day.
- Visit a local brewery or winery and do a taste testing.
- Visit a local comedy club.
Making the choice to practice self-care is wise. Don’t listen to that little voice in your mind that says you’re being selfish, lazy or indulgent. You deserve to be happy and healthy and the way to make sure that happens is to take care of yourself first!